Hey, everybody!
Welcome to my new blog! I'm glad that you stopped by :-) I hope that you come check it out a few more times. Just don't forget to drop me a line and let me know how you're doing too!
As most of you know, I graduated from Central College in May. So, it has come time to move on to the next adventure in life. However, after living in a Dutch town for 4 years, I've learned about all sorts of things, like: windmills, wooden shoes, tulips, almond paste, Vans-, Vanders- and -smas. So naturally, when it came time to go, I moved on over to the next Dutch establishment. As nice as it would be to live in the Emerald City, the Orange City will just have to do for now...
And for now, I'm on a path that allows me to encourage current students here at Northwestern College to travel the world. What's more, I get the opportunity to work with a couple of the international students on campus in an ESL (English as a Second Language) classroom. If you know me, then you know that these are things that I am passionate about: encouragement, travel, culture and languages. It's such a good fit and I'm blessed to be here.
Yet, I'm currently in the all-too-familiar phase that many other recent grads find themselves in, as well: transition. It's one of those over-used words by college students, but that's because there's not really a better descriptor.
You're kind of here, but you're kind of there.You don't really know what you're doing, but you're trying to figure it out. Transition. That's what it is.
Luckily, I'm a pretty adaptable person. During the last few days before my trek west (well, northwest), I was nervous. Plain and simple. However, my family is pretty great and helped me move out here. When it came time to say goodbye, some tears came... I didn't want them to go and my reality sunk in. Completely.
I gave myself the time it took to drive to Wal-Mart to cry... Looking back, crying and driving was probably a bad judgment call. Live and learn, I guess. Afterwards, I picked my head up and did what my mom told me, "Be brave, sweetie." Mom's are the best, aren't they?
Since then, I've been here. Out on my own. I have a nice little apartment to call my own and I get to put all my personal touches into decorating it. This is my new home...
And while it is my new home, it doesn't quite feel like it. Not yet. Because when I think of home, I think of a place where I know my way around the grocery store... Of a place with cars that have the same county license plate... Of a place where I dial 563-... Of a place where I can walk the dog with my dad, garage sale with my mom and embarrass the heck out of my little sister.
But, this will start to feel like home. Soon enough.
And really, it brings me back to the reality that no matter where we are on this earth, we're journeying to a more permanent Home. And that is a beautiful thing.
So, here's to home, my friends. Whatever that might look like for you. And here's to Home... because we're on the road there. Don't forget to roll down the windows, breath in the air and learn from the people that you meet along the way.
Be blessed,
Justine
P.S. I know I didn't really explain the blog title. It's coming... Sometimes you just need to mix things up a little ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment