Hello friends,
Wherever you are at... physically, emotionally, spiritually... I want to welcome you to this space and thank you for spending some time with me here. I appreciate you.
Just a little while ago, I had started to settle down for the night. I was folding some clothes and had only a couple of things left to do before bed... namely, shower. And while it is not uncommon for me to sit with my many thoughts, tonight, I had the not-very-common nudging, maybe even desire, to write on this blog.
I have an idea what words I hope to piece together on this screen, but I am going to take my time in placing them here.
Here is a question that I found myself considering tonight: Did the apostle Paul spend countless hours, considering each word and penning them carefully onto paper, when he wrote his letters to his friends? I think there is a good possibility that he did.
Oftentimes, I think I envision Paul as this most eloquent writer that could fashion the beloved letters we continue to hold and glean from with a simple flick of his wrist. Of course, in all His goodness, God worked through Paul's writing to speak to His people. However, in his obedience to be a writing hand for the Word, is it not likely that Paul spent great time considering the words to be delivered in these ordained letters?
There is something I am convinced of... Words matter.
It is true that words can be used in contrasting manners:
Words can be beautiful
empowering
life-giving
hope-filled
Words can also be ugly
destructive
hurtful
demeaning
Something that I would like to offer is that words are a way for us to acknowledge one another. Of course, we use words to greet one another. However, we also use words to "see." To listen to another person is to say "I see you and I hear you and you are important." To share with someone is to say "I trust you and this is who I am and this is my story."
I hold onto words. The words that I have read and heard have significantly effected how I have lived my life's story. I know that I am not alone in this... because part of us is hard-wired to give and receive from words.
God, as our Creator, knows us. So, we should not find it coincidence that He offers to us Himself as the Word. In gifting us the Word, He is acknowledging that we need reminders of who we are, where we come from, what we are called to do and where we are heading. He is acknowledging that we need to receive the Word that says we are dearly loved and therefore, are called to dearly love in return.
As image-bearers of the Word, we should be pronouncers of the good that He has spoken to us.
So often, I fall short.
I am quick to sarcasm. I am short with words when frustrated. I hold back on giving words that can heal and empower when I feel hurt or forgotten. I prefer to hear an apology rather than offer one.
Jesus, as he was both God and man, offered us such a great counter-example.
He offered life freely through his words. He asked generous questions. His words healed. He did not hold back the words that His Father had given him to say.
Let us consider two things he said often:
"Come," which is an invitation.
"Be not afraid... I am with you," which is an acknowledgement, encouragement and a way of coming alongside.
As I look to be more like Jesus and a better image-bearer of my Creator, I want to better use my words. I want to give glory to Him through words of healing, encouragement and love.
With words, I love asking questions. For this reason, I want to become a better question-asker. And even more that, I want to ask better follow-up questions.
Asking a good question shows that you are interested in hearing or understanding someone. However, asking a good follow-up question shows that you are acknowledging their response, giving it importance and engaging in what they are sharing. In speaking powerful words, listening is so important.
Words matter.
I care about you, friend. And I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on "Words," as well. Would you share with me?
For tonight, I will leave you with this...
There is an old-saying "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." I do think that words can hurt. More importantly, I know they can heal. So, I would rather take this phrase and declare "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can bring life and healing."
Peace be with you, friends.
Justine
No comments:
Post a Comment